[ROVERNET - UK] Rover P5 compression ratio and fuel

S Manwell s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu
Thu Aug 9 03:21:02 BST 2007

Eric,

According to the P5 MkI through III parts book, these are the possibilities:

MkI and Ia: 7.5 (engine # prefix 631 or 731) or 8.75:1 (prefix 630 or 730)
MkII Auto: 8.0:1
MkII 4spd/OD: 8.0 (prefix 771) or 8.75 (770)
MkIII 4sp: 8.0 or 8.75 (796 or 795)
MkIII auto: 8.0 or 8.75 (801 or 800)

I believe the 8.75 ratio is more common on the LHD export MkII 4spd and
MkIII's, but I'm not sure of that.

If the pistons have been replaced, then the compression ratio may have
changed...

8.75 pistons probably require 89 or 93 octane depending on where the
spark is set.

--Steve