[ROVERNET - UK] Larry's P6 / Pinto Engine

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Sat Dec 8 20:20:16 GMT 2007

The 2000 is the preferred engine and particularly the 1971 version. It was
9.2:1 compression and 100 HP stock. The 72-73 2000 engines were 8.2:1 and 85
HP. Yes, the 2300 engines had cam problems.

I tore down a 1971 Pinto engine with 90,000 miles on it and the worst wear I
could find was .0015 inches, that is 1 1/2 thousands of an inch. I checked
it several times as I could not believe the readings. As I had it torn down,
I bored it .020 oversize and re-built it totally. That engine is now in my
Gazelle Kit. I had a spare 1971 engine laying around for years that I put on
Craig's list recently. Had three hits within the first 24 hours. They wanted
to put it into everything from a Jeep to a fork lift. The fork lift guy was
the first one here with cash in hand.

They really are great little engines.

Slats