[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Gearbox

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Thu Feb 1 01:43:54 GMT 2007

Hi Nick,
I've never done it.  RPI developed this replacement many
years ago, but I'm not sure they even supply the parts any
more.  I think it requires spliting the case and removing
the first motion gear and doing some machining to it in
order to fit a roller bearing to the front end of the
mainshaft.  I'v never really seen this done, only heard
about it.

If the LT77 is not damaged, simply replacing the bearings,
shimming properly according to the shop manual, and
changing the trans fluid often should be good for 80k
miles.  Swarf is the enemy of these transmissions.  It
eats up or jams the oil pump.  Also, even a few miles of
towing with the rear wheels on the ground is enough to
destroy the trans, so always disconnect the driveshaft or
tow it like you would an automatic with the front wheel on
the ground.

I don't think it's a good idea to just swap in an unknown
transmission without a teardown and inspection.

Roverly,
Kent K.