[ROVERNET - UK] P5 speedo differences

Winchester, Miles Miles.Winchester at ArvinMeritor.com
Wed Feb 7 21:22:56 GMT 2007

Hi Peter,

Kent is correct. When my father some years ago put a 3.9 diff in our MKIII
manual Rover (originally a 4.3 ratio) the speedo was always understated by
10%. We did locate the correct speedo for the diff ratio from an auto MKIII
but never got around to fitting it.

Miles
Melbourne

-----Original Message-----
From: rovernet-bounces at lyris.ccdata.com
[mailto:rovernet-bounces at lyris.ccdata.com] On Behalf Of Kent Kinard
Sent: Thursday, 8 February 2007 07:16
To: rovernet at lyris.ccdata.com
Subject: Re: [ROVERNET - UK] P5 speedo differences

Hi Peter,

> Question for today is: Can anyone tell me the functional
>difference  between a speedo built for a P5 Mk II and a
>MK III? I imagine they  are calibrated differently, but
>has anyone swapped them and measured  the difference? I
>have a spare from a MKII, but need to replace my  MKIII
>speedo.

Just from looking at the parts book, it would seem that
the difference in the speedos relates to the difference in
rear end ratios, so you can calculate the percentage
difference in the Mk. II and Mk. III diffs and find out
how much the speedo would be off...this assumes you know
the ratio of the diff in the car the Mk. II speedo came
from.

Roverly,
Kent K.

instructions: http://mailman.nipltd.com/mailman/listinfo/rovernet