[ROVERNET - UK] 2000TC motor sputtering and backfiring

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Sat Jan 6 07:13:32 GMT 2007

Eric,

I know of several occasions where the car would start, run well to a certain
speed, but backfire if one tried to go above that speed. If the car was shut
down and restarted, the speed at which it would backfire was even less,
until it would only idle. I had this happen on a mini moke that I had tuned
a few weeks earlier. Had it towed home and started trouble shooting.
Eliminated everything obvious and finally decided to replace the condenser
with the old one that I had removed a few weeks earlier. Problem solved. I
know of several MG's that had similar symptoms. It seems to occur more often
on positive ground vehicles. Perhaps the way the condensers are wound?

Slats