[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Windshield removal

Magnet magnet at roverclub.org
Tue Mar 20 02:05:02 GMT 2007

 We took the trim off first, to get access to the joint.  The screen was
pretty loose at the top (hence the leak) and it was easy to get the
wire through.  We cleaned up the old screen (razor blade got rid of
the old sealant) and re-fitted it with polyurethane windscreen
adhesive sealant.

Hints:  Re-paint the black band at the bottom, if it's gone flaky,
with the most durable paint you can find.  We used rubberized
rocker panel paint, but it has shrunk after two years.   Use little
blocks of wood under the edge of the screen to hold it in position
while the adhesive cures.  Don't put the moulding in too soon, but
not too late (!)  You can judge the right time by the feel of the curing
adhesive.  Don't drive the car at speed till the adhesive has really
cured.  (We lost the top trim piece to the wind this way -- happily
found it by the side of the road the next day).

The hardest bit was getting a nice-looking smooth bead of sealant.
The stuff we used was really too high viscosity -- meant, I think, for
use with an air gun -- and was very hard to extrude smoothly with a
hand caulking gun.

Good luck!

 -- Bill

=======