[ROVERNET - UK] Rover Coracles

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 04:07:12 GMT 2007

Kent Kinard wrote:
> No, the Gulf Coast Coracle Museum moved to Corpus Christi. It is
> situated between the Texas State Aquarium and the USS Lexington and
> just across the Nueces River from the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.
> They had considered moving it to San Jacinto next to the USS Texas,
> but the Corpus Christi bunch really wanted the Coracles and sweetened
> their offer.  Besides which, you can't get good seafood at San
> Jacinto.  I really don't know why they left Galveston...too few
> Irishmen, I suppose.
>
> Roverly,
> Kent K.
Kent,

I'm very surprised to hear that the Gulf Coast Coracle Museum has left
Galveston. If you recall, when the waters receded from the Great Storm
of 1910, they found a score of coracles left behind on the beaches. Most
of those were eventually determined to have originated in Central and
South America, and some were possibly Pre-Columbian. A couple of them
seemed very similar to 8th-Century Irish coracles, and one even had a
"Kiss Me I'm Irish" bumper sticker attached to it. Most archaeologists
are in agreement that that site was contaminated by modern-day
hooligans, but the illuminated borders of the bumper sticker clearly
dated the artifact to some time before the first millennium. All the
same, Galveston was where the stuff turned up, and I'm quite amazed to
here that the Gulf Coast Coracle Museum has moved to Corpus Christi,
seafood or no seafood.

Glen