[ROVERNET - UK] P6B rear brakes

Roger.Matheson roger.matheson at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 26 10:36:39 GMT 2007

Hi Ray,
As I recall the piston does not fully retract.  However on the end of the
piston is a flange with a 90 degree elbow bend.  This elbow engages with the
top of the inboard pad and holds the piston while the push rod progressively
turns in its thread increasing the length of that assembly (and ajusting the
brake clearence).  This flange should be flush with the calliper at the end
of its retraction.  As I recall when fitting new pads, you screw in the
piston (referred to as the piston cup assembly) to the end of its thread in
the push rod and until it starts to turn the rod with its serated edge
against the ajuster pawl.  This makes a distictive noise.  However if there
is dirt in the thread then the piston will not fully retract before turning
the whole assembly.  With the calliper off you could unscrew the piston out
and clean the thread without fully dismantling the calliper.  With this out
you could also greese the rubber o ring in the calliper  In my experience
fitting the pads with the required clearence requires two things.  Firstly
the elbow of the flang must be at the 12 o'clock position in the calliper
for it to properly engage over the top of the inboard pad as the retaining
plates are positioned.  Otherwise the elbow will press up against the back
of the inner pad pushing it too far out, creating the problem you have
experienced. Secondly, the two bolts holding the outer pad must be properly
engaged in the recess holes of the pad so that the metal base of the pad is
in full contact with the calliper.  Otherwise it too will be too far out. I
have had pads with recess holes too shallow that I have needed to drill out
by a ml or two.  These bolts have flat washers and if you forget them, then
again the outer pad may be positioed too far out.

Trust this helps.  I have the relevant pages in the manual and could email
p/c's to you.

Cheers Roger