[ROVERNET - UK] OT Prison

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Tue Oct 9 16:33:23 BST 2007

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:31:31 -0400
  S Manwell <s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
> Well, Bill Robertson beat us to the master cylinder
>punch, but I hate to let the prison comment go by.  Hmm,
>let's see:  a Texan figure of speech?  A sacrifice for a
>good cause?

No, literally.  Twice a year I do a prison ministry called
Kairos.  We go in on Thursday afternoon and finish Sunday
afternoon.  There is some teaching, group discussion,
singing and dancing, and sharing faith stories.  Some of
these men simply have never had the experience of being
loved unconditionally.  The team takes turns going back on
Thursday of each week for Prayer and Share.  It is a
pretty substantial commitment.  The team is ecumenical,
but a little heavy on the Right Wing.  I try to keep them
more in the middle theologically.  I was the head
spiritual director for this one.

Roverecidivisticly,
(recidivism-technical term for the tendency to return to
prison instead of staying out.  Most prison systems have a
high recidivism rate. Some people find the high degree of
choice involved in living in the free world to be
threatening and uncomfortable and find the regimentation
of prison life more comfortable.  They can't wait to get
out, but making a successful transition is hard and
violating parole is easy.  The term is usually applied to
those who are incarcerated, but in this case, it is
jokingly applied to those of us who are hooked on prison
ministry.)
Kent K.