[ROVERNET - UK] Vapor lock

Warwick Brooks warwick at regscom.com.au
Tue Oct 23 09:42:05 BST 2007

Denis,

My experience comes from the Range Rover engine from the early '70s to the
late '80s.  I am new to Rover cars having only acquired a P5B relatively
recently, so I will answer this generally and with the Range Rover in mind
and hope that someone with car engine experience jumps in.  There may be
subtle differences between the engines.

If I was adding an expansion tank I would use the unpressurized type that
connects to the radiator's overflow outlet.  This type of tank/bottle relies
on water being pushed out past the radiator cap and then drawing it back in
when the system cools.  The standard cap has to be replaced with one without
the vacuum-break valve or by rendering the valve in a standard cap
inoperable.

Hope this helps and that someone else picks up from here.

Regards,
Warwick.