[ROVERNET - UK] 1969 P6 Front Suspension/Lube

rwacek at comcast.net rwacek at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 16:20:11 GMT 2007

Good Day Rovernetters.

Have needed new shocks for a while so thought I would get them from Ruth and check out all my front and rear bushings as well. Plus repack the front bearings. All looked good in the rear. The old shocks were Unipart. All bushings looked good. I'm in the front now. Must have  the originals because they are marked Rover.

Question is, how do I lube those various rod ends?. They're supposed to be permanently sealed but there are cracks in most of the seals. I can see and feel grease in them but I think it needs to be freshened up. Should I just squirt some motor oil in there or should I cut the seal off and replace it with universal cover made for that purpose by the HELP people. The ball joint seals are mostly OK but I'm thinking of freshening that lube up by injecting grase with a needle.

How do I get the front wheel dust caps off? The cap doesn't seem to mount like a Jag or Ford. If you tell me to read the manual I will.