[ROVERNET - UK] BW 35 shifts like a tr8uck

LANCE G LACERTE, LANCE G LA CERTE lacpsyd6 at msn.com
Fri Sep 21 19:52:31 BST 2007

Hi All,

Would appreciate any words of wisdom about my transmission.  Recently
rebuilt Rover V8 Entine and Borg Warner 35, three speed tranny.  Mated them
back together easily, engine runs like a dream.  I have fiddled with the new
downshift cable/accelerator linkage, but the transmission just 'clunks'
going in and out of gear.  Some specifics: It clunks particularly hard when
I'm putting it into reverse.  When in drive, it shifts 'hard' and what I've
noticed is that if I accelerate smoothly and keep the revs below about 2000,
then take my foot of the gas, I can get it to go into 2nd and 3rd very
smoothly, but even coming to a stop as it is down shifting, it still clunks.

The only part of the car that I haven't rebuilt is the rear-end
(differential).  Don't know if that could be any part of the culprit.  The
transmission was built 2 years ago, one year before the engine rebuild and
seemed to shift smoothly. I keep checking the ATF fluid level to make sure
that it is not low.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lance La Certe, Denver.