[ROVERNET - UK] sd1 borg-warner 65 torque converter question

doug gruber dgruber at i2k.com
Tue Apr 1 22:02:43 BST 2008

Hello,
I need to know if it is possible to bench test a removed torque
converter from a borg warner 65 trans?  My son ran a stall test
following the instructions in his manual and it indicated a possible
stator slip problem.

Here is the history of his project.  He is a 15 year old with some
wrenching experience.  His uncle gave him an SD1 with an additional
low-mileage engine.  His task was to pull the original engine and
replace it with the lower mileage engine.  He did the swap, bolted the
flywheel and torque converter to the newer engine, but the flywheel
plate bolt heads did not clear the lower portion of the block.  He and I
have verified that the newer block does have two recessed sections that
are 1/8" thicker than the older block and therefore extend toward the
bellhousing and get in the way of the bolt heads trying to pass that area.

Rather than file away this small amount of the extending surface, he
followed someone's advice and placed the flywheel's reinforcement plate
on the opposite side of the flywheel.  This plate, mating with the
existing spacer, put the flywheel 1/8" toward the transmission and
allowed the bolt heads to clear the offending surface.
He put everything back together, he started and then tuned the engine,
but when he took it out for a test drive the transmission did not
accelerate the car properly. This lead to the stall test and the idea
about the stator problem.  Could the stator have been damaged by the
flywheel and torque converter being placed this 1/8" closer to the
transmission and possibly causing too much pressure?

By the way, the transmission worked properly with the other engine
before the swap was performed, and my son and his 17 year old SD1 owning
older brother both say that there is nothing wrong with newer engine.

Also, we are in the market for a bw 65 trans and torque converter.

Thanks,
Doug