[ROVERNET - UK] People who buy Rovers

Robert Thornton R.Thornton at adelaidecitycouncil.com
Tue Apr 8 23:25:13 BST 2008

I bought a Rover (SD1) my first in 1979 because it seemed like a natural
progression from the Mini Cooper Ss I had since the '60s. By then I
wanted something bigger and more dynamic than the Minis, but really
wanted to stick with the same old firm's products (BMC/BL/Austin Rover),
had some sporting competition cred to carry on from the Minis - this
time with that super ex-Buick V8 engine rather than the tunable A series
- and would allow me to modify it to make it into another
street/occasional track burner (which was my background with the Minis).
An element of brand loyalty no doubt, urge to be different from the
usual run of the mill Holdens and Fords that then dominated Australian
roads, and the fact that the Rover had an air of luxury about it
(promoted in Oz at the time as 'the poor man's Jaguar') were also
contributing factors. And the shape of the SD1 really made it stand out
from the crowd in 1978.

I had also built up a lot of contacts, knowledge and sources for BL
spares which also could be used to maintain and improve the Rover. I had
considered a TR7 or Dolomite Sprint, which also carried on BL's sporting
heritage during the '70s, and even a P6B, but the former were either too
small or too fragile, and the P6 - although a joy to drive - had that
'pipe and slippers' image associated with it and limited streeter
potential (apologies to the purists).

The other option at the time was a P76 Executive or Targa Florio with
the 4.4 alloy V8 but by 1978 they were regarded as a bit of a lemon
(unjustly) with production having ceased in 1975 after the car had
criplled Leyland Australia. These days a P76 is a very rare sight and
are becoming very collectable.

Rob