[ROVERNET - UK] Question on SD1 rear shocks

Magnet magnet at roverclub.org
Mon Apr 21 22:39:55 BST 2008

Many if not all SD-1s sent to North America had Boge "Nivomat"
self-levelling rear shocks.  Apart from whatever other qualities these
may have had, they incorporated a pretty substantial internal spring,
and the car's rear springs were rated to take this into account.  If one
simply replaced the Nivomats with conventional shocks, you lost a fair
amount of your rear springing.  This had been done on my son's first
SD-1 before he got it, with the result that the back end was about 2
inches lower than it should have been, and the car would bottom out on
the slightest provocation.  We were very lucky to be able to find a set
of SD-1 replacement springs that were intended for the conversion to
normal shocks.  These were visibly more robust than the originals, and
corrected the problem.

The most recent addition to his SD-1 stable has the very wimpy rear
springs that went with the Nivomats, but the (aftermarket) shocks
incorporate a hefty external spring.

If you do replace the shocks on your car, I hope this information is
helpful.

It's interesting to note that some of the Rover 825s had Nivomat type
self-levelling shocks as well.  When I replaced the rear shocks on my
825 with the non-self-levelling items (which were all I could get), I
lost about an inch of ride height.  I experimented with one of the
shocks I took off, and it took more than 150 pounds to push the piston
rod in to the point where it would normally sit with the shock installed
in the car.