[ROVERNET - UK] Loss of power problem again

Magnet magnet at roverclub.org
Fri Jul 4 12:32:00 BST 2008

Hi Gavin,

I would certainly suspect the fuel pump, but there is another faint
possibility...  I had the same problem ages ago on a Fiat Multipla, and
it was caused by a blocked air inlet to the fuel tank.  As fuel was used
up, a partial vacuum was created in the tank, preventing the pump from
sucking out the fuel.  Taking off the cap resulted in a "whooosh" as air
entered the tank.   But this problem tended to be more acute with a full
tank, and yours is evidently more likely when the tank gets down a bit,
and there's less hydrostatic (petrostatic?) head helping the pump.

On the Fiat, the problem only occurred on cold, icy days, and was caused
by ice in the vent hole.  I don't imagine that's **your** problem!

Cheers,

 -- Bill