[ROVERNET - UK] P6 windshield differences?

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Sat Mar 8 07:00:44 GMT 2008

Thinking about it a bit more, the clear (heh) advantage of the
laminated window is with a rock strike or the like. A toughened
window would craze into a opaque patchwork and visibility would be
severely impaired.Then if it blew in to the car you got 10 lb? of
glass chunks in your face and lap. Not a fun prospect at speed. They
tried to beat the problem with various zones that fractured into a
pattern big enough to see through, but in the end they were obsolete
by the 80s through regulation.

And now for something different: I was once called in to advise a
glass artist who had a commission for a hanging glass sculpture for
an airport. It consisted of a number of curvy panels reminiscent of
the Aura Borealis, at least the parts of it I saw, and the panels had
to be laminated glass for safety. So this fellow was setting up to do
his own laminations. The plastic layer is made of polyvinyl butyral,
and one of his problems was bubbles in the plastic, caused by the
plastic absorbing  moisture from the air which would then create the
bubbles when he vacuum bagged and heated them each panel in an oven
to bond them. I was there to advise on vacuum bagging and to try and
solve the moisture problem (due my experience in thermoforming
polycarbonate, which has similar troubles). We did solve all the
problems, and presumably the sculpture (I forget where is it,
somewhere in Canada) is still  hanging.

Back to Rovers.

I can see 10 rear screen part numbers, toughened clear or Sundym with
or without a defroster grid printed on the inside (4) and laminated
clear and Sundym with or without a fine wire defroster element twixt
the laminations, and later the defroster grid printed on the inside.
(6)

And I have a few more part numbers for front screens, this from a 69 2000 book:

toughened, RH drive 367195, same LH drive 367196, in Sundym 367197 &
367198 (these are early cars, up to C suffix on TC's. It is curious
367195 matches the number MIchael has a suitable for all years)

toughed, zebra zone, 369246 & 369247 clear and  Sundym

finally. laminated 368517 & 368518, clear and Sundym

Now a real find would be a laminated front screen with the fine wire
defroster, they made a few of those for the rally cars.

Yours
Vern