[ROVERNET - UK] Fuel costs and fuel supply

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 23:10:05 GMT 2008

Once a week I travel on a freeway for 1 hour to visit
my 89 yr old mother - in the rain, in the snow, hot
sunny weather, etc.  I can't imagine how long and how
dangerous (ref: David's comment) that would be
especially difficult as I get older

I live in a mountainous area.  To get to my place I
have to gain or lose about 470 feet in elevation.

Living in North America usually involves travelling
greater distances to get somewhere useful than in
other jurisdictions which are more compact. The
culture will change vis a vis modes of transportation,
types of fuel used, pathways for vehicles, public
transport, etc.  We all can't make such rapid changes
to what has been provided and encouraged for the past
100 years.

Overlaying any changes are political decisions and
pressure from minority extreme groups who would like
to send us back to the pre-industrial age immediately.

Glen  :-)

--- David Sheuring <rovertcv8 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You know what.....you are not funny anymore
> Come over here and have a look at our roads....and
> the
> trucks on them. They would just assume to run over
> as
> to look at you...
> Anyone want to chime in on this?
> David
> --- Netspace <vmitps at netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
> > We in the West build roads for cars, and that has
> > change.
> > I shop on bicycle, so I have done 3 or so.  I
> carry
> > 10kg potato bags on the
> > bike.
> > At some point I will get a BOB trailer, then I can
> > fit a whole shop.
> > The key to knee preservation is keeping them fit.
> > To start, ride low gears initially, keep the force
> > low and the RPMs high.

=== message truncated ===