[ROVERNET - UK] Glen et 3500S factory options

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 11:50:52 BST 2008

Hi, Alan.

I've caught a couple of mistakes in Taylor's stuff over the years, but
with so much published there are bound to be a few errors. If he's got a
doctoral degree, he has the right to call himself Dr. Taylor. But I
don't think he is the incontrovertible authority. However, he apparently
HAS taken the time to do some serious research and has looked at what is
available in terms of documentary evidence. For me, half the point of
citing a book like Taylor's is that it gives someone who cares about
accuracy and truth and knows something an opportunity to speak up, offer
a correction, tell the basis of the correction and share the "new &
improved" truth with us.

Let's remember where all this started. I stated that that the Rover
documentation specified what the factory options for the Federal 3500S
were. Not a real broad issue.

I'm still not sure why there is so much confusion between factory
options, dealer options, and what one person's car has screwed onto it
35 years after it left the factory. All I've been saying is that what
represents a "factory option" (please read those two words) is not a
matter of opinion or personal religious belief. The factory options are
what Rover offered for sale as specified in the sales brochures and
price lists available to the customer. My comments were limited to one
model of Rover for which there is sales documentation that very clearly
states what the options were. I can't state it any more simply than that.

Now, if someone has another price list or a copy of a Rover internal
memo (and I know there are people on the list who have this sort of
thing), it would be very interesting to have this information shared.
That's what I am trying to draw out.

I tried to limit this statement as narrowly as I could to one specific
model of which only 2000 examples were ever produced and sold. These are
points of fact, and I was taught that it is less than intelligent to
argue over points of fact that can be proven with hard evidence.

So, now it's been said that I believe that only I am ever right, and I
think that's too broad a statement. The truth is that I'm only
definitely right in this one particular instance regarding what the
factory options were on a Federal 3500S. The evidence is in the Rover
Company documents, and no one has brought any new documentary evidence
to light. When I'm dealing with the Rovernet brain trust, if it isn't
offered, than I have to conclude that it doesn't exist. Therefore, the
factory options were what the Rover Company said they were.

Now, if someone wants to argue semantics and say that changes made by
the dealer at the time of sale or modifications made after the car left
the dealership constitute factory options, they are free to state that
as an opinion but there's no logic to support such a position. Further,
if a car left the factory with a TC rear seat squab instead of the
box-pleated Ambla 3500S rear seat, that doesn't make it a factory
option, and which of you would have accepted a car with mismatched seats?

Who cares what was standard or optional? I don't think it is only me,
and it's not all that anoraky, either. I don't know how many times I
have heard people say that a leather interior was a factory option on
the Federal 3500S, and it simply isn't true. So, why do we perpetuate
this incorrect information and pass it on to new people by not pointing
out that it is not true? A forum like this is not intended to pass along
unfounded rumor as established fact. If members don't speak up, the
inaccuracies get the Rovernet Seal of Truth applied to them.

Glen