[ROVERNET - UK] Brakes and differential

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 16:28:34 BST 2008

Just adding to Paul's point:
After I bought critical new pieces for the rear
calipers (serrated wheel that inserts into the piston
cup assembly and the pawl), the handbrake is
constantly adjusted by just stepping on the brake.
The hydraulic piston does the same job as the
mechanical pin in pressing on a steel bar which
operates another steel lump which operates the pawl.

If the serrated wheel begins to wear in one place,
then the designed adjustment begins to fail and one
must resort to helping the handbrake take up the
slack.  I did this in the early days (before getting
the new parts) by crawling underneath and operating
the two handbrake levers on each caliper by hand until
the slack was taken up.

Eric

--- Netspace <vmitps at netspace.net.au> wrote:

> You can adjust the brakes by applying the FOOT pedal
> lots of times.  There
> is no need to roll the car.
> Ultimately the rear calipers bleed fairly well if
> you just leave the bleed
> screw open for half an hour and let the fluid work
> through. Then a couple of
> pedal pump bleeds.  Just the discs in place is fine.
>
> PVS

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca