[ROVERNET - UK] exhaust and back pressure

Paul Smith Paul.Smith at auroraenergy.com.au
Thu Aug 12 00:27:09 BST 2004

I'm an EE too.
The velocity of sound is raised due to the temp & pressure rise in exhaust.
The benefits at one speed can be reduced and the rpm range increased by
pulse spreading.  Megaphones do this (racing motorcycles), and intermediate
expansion chambers.
Note that a reflection off a closed end has the same sign as the original
pulse, an open end reverses it.  Think microwaves.

PVS