[ROVERNET - UK] exhaust and back pressure

Michael Pellow mp349 at ww.co.nz
Thu Aug 12 19:59:47 BST 2004

In my experience with P4's  & the IOE moter you would need alt least the
first section of exhaust pipe .I know that on Rovers & Vauxhalls of the
period ,if there is a crack in the exhaust manafold (quite common) there are
al lot of promlems in getting the car to run properly.The manafolds seem to
crack where the two branches come together at the centre and go to the pipe
termination..on british cars that had exhaust gas flowing back to warm the
carb,there was a tendency when they aged to burn thru causing a low pressure
point at the manifold.Ie many cars require a certain ammount of back
pressure to run properly. As for mufflers P3,P4,P5,P6  all have straight
thru mufflers without baffles .It is like a perforated pipe with fiber
wrapped arround and a cover on the outside.youcan stick a broom handle
staight thru .

Michael Pellow
2x 46 10 HP
     49 P3 75 6 light