[ROVERNET - UK] P6B - Rear Brakes removal

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 06:53:34 BST 2004

Michael,
The nut is a machined unit to contain a recess for a
spring. Since you are going to dismantle the car and
remove the calipers, I have found it useful to:
1.  Remove the handbrake assembly complete including
the bracket on the final drive held by 2 bolts needing
a 1/2" spanner.
2.  Remove the stop pins for the handbrake ratchet
assembly.  You may need Mole grips to start the
extrication.
3.  Pull out each ratchet from each caliper.  The
little pin will probably remain in the cylinder from
whence you withdrew the ratchet assembly.
4.  You should be now able to get a socket or a large
spanner on the offending "nut".  If it is rusted in
place, you may have to start the removal with a sharp
chisel and a hammer.
5.  Loosen the nut at the opposite end (I think a
9/16" spanner)
6.  Select an Allen wrench to fit in the end where you
removed the large "nut".
7. The pair of calipers can be removed as a set if you
don't want to undo the brake hose where it is attached
to a short brake pipe.

It's doable in different ways ----- not easy -- just
doable.

Eric