2000TC 10-11 mpg (was Re: [ROVERNET - UK] Long winded diatribe on profiling SU needles)

smanwell smanwell at sprintmail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:12:00 GMT 2004

Philip,

If I'm remembering correctly, your car is a Federal car with HS8 carbs.
Could one of the jets be sticking in a lower (richer) position after the
cold start knob is pushed back in?  Check to see if you can lift the jet
up against the linkage.  Or maybe some part of the cold start linkage or
one of the cables is not returning all the way.

It might be worthwhile to start from the beginning of the shop manual
procedure to tune the carbs -- this way you know the jet is starting out
close to where it should be before making adjustments.

I'm assuming that the floats are floating and the needle valves are OK
-- I think if they weren't you would see gasoline dripping from the
bottom of one or both jets.

--Steve