[ROVERNET - UK] New Member - Just Starting Out - Tech Probs for Registration

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Wed Oct 13 21:22:06 BST 2004

>2- The rear brakes are also failing me.  After failing the initial
>test, the mechanic bled the rear brakes, found a blockage in the
>right rear line and cleared it.  Results were nearly the same for
>the first and second test - rear balance 128% on left, 65% on right;
>and measurment of 485 lbf brake force on left rear,  248 lbf brake
>force on right.  Discs aren't rusty, brakes relatively new.
>Previous owner told me that the right rear had locked unexpectedly
>at some point, but not sure what they did to correct it  My mechanic
>says the next step is to replace the rear rubber brake hoses (maybe
>someone used wrong brake fluid in the past??).  Any thoughts on this?

I don't think this is a hose issue, as the hoses go from base unit to
RH caliper, then RH to LH calipers, so any hose problem I would
expect to see on both or the LH caliper only. I suspect a mechanical
problem, namely that the RH caliper is not adjusted up properly. Do
you have a workshop manual for the car? if so, read the section on
the rear brakes. If not, we can "list" you though it.

Yours
Vern