[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Sill Repair

smanwell smanwell at sprintmail.com
Sat Oct 23 15:56:51 BST 2004

Chris,

I had the sills repaired on my 2000TC a few years ago.  As others have
said, the sill cover can be unscrewed from the structural sill and this
cover can be repaired or replaced.  On my car the horizontal bottom
panel of the structural sill was the main part that we replaced.  This
panel is basically flat, so I don't think it is worthwhile to go to the
expense of ordering repair panels -- we didn't .   If it is only this
lower panel that needs repairing, there should be no need to brace the
door openings to keep the body aligned.  P6's have very rigid base units
-- the doors almost always still close nicely even on very rusty parts
cars here in the Northeast.

The vertical inner and outer sill sections are unlikely to be
extensively rotted out, and local repairs to these panels can also be
repaired with flat sheet and limited fabrication.  Sill repairs don't
have to look beautiful as long as they are structurally sound since they
covered in rubberized undercoat, then they are cosmetically finished off
with the painted outer sill cover.  You may not need to brace the body
even for repairs to these vertical sections -- do the doors close well now?

The D-post (the front of the rear wheel arch exposed when the back door
is open) is a more elaborate shape that would be worthwhile to repair
with a JRW or similar panel if this area has significant rust.

Other than the D-post, I would say that inner sill panel repairs involve
very straightforward welding (flat panels and welds that won't be
visible) -- except for the fact that you would be welding overhead under
the car.

Don't forget to inject a liberal dose of cavity wax or Waxoil or
Dinitrol into the sill box section after doing these repairs so that the
rust won't take hold again.

Steve Manwell
editor, Rover Saloon Touring Club of America