[ROVERNET - UK] P6- roof insulation - thanks- and a questionabout roof mastic

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 4 14:04:24 GMT 2005

For your headliner insulation, You should use 3M8090 trim adhesive, which is
heavy duty, not 8080, which is cheaper, and fine for carpets.It is a Spray
can, used by trim shops for headliners andvinyl tops.You have to keep
shaking it, and the nozzles clog, so save the old nozzles in a can of
lacquer thinner. Regarding insulation, you need something better than
aluminum foil. I use and sell for under carpets and lower areas, a sound
foam material, called lead foam, that blocks sound, but it is 1/2 inch
thick. It is amazing stuff, with closed cell fire resistant foam(unlike old
jute which is like gunpowder), a layer of silver mylar on one side, and
powdered lead encapsulated in the center. It is designed for large motor
yachts, where the owner's stateroom is separated from an engine room by a
bulkhead, but sound is simply unacceptable.I can only supply 1/2 inch, but
you may find something similar used in aircraft, that is thinner. You cut
and fit it, glue it with the 8090, and use mylar tape on the seams.I have
used the 1/2 inch for a decade, to Block heat in Austin Healeys, and in most
of my high end restorations. There I put a half sheet inside the
transmission tunnel, and a sheet over the rear axle area, as in a TR6 or
MGBGtT, to stop axle noise.It is designed to stop noise, but works equally
well on heat.Sorry to  sound commercial,which upsets people, but my email is
jaguru at bellsouth.net, and I am glad to advise anyone, and do share my
professional restoration tips. James Dean, Ft. Lauderdale