[ROVERNET - UK] P5 Gas MPG

Shirley & Barry Lafbery lafbery at telus.net
Thu Jul 7 19:44:29 BST 2005

Hi Ben,
           A friend of mine here has a P5 Standard with Overdrive and was
getting about 16 mpg, the same as my automatic. When we looked up the specs.
on his car we found that the standard without o/d has a 3.9-1 rear end and
the o/d car has a 4.3-1 why Rover did this we have no idea, except one could
be a town car and the other for touring. He found the gears were a real pain
for town driving he was almost in 3rd before he cleared an intersection. We
decided to change the rear end to a 3.9-1. He now gets mid 20s mpg and it's
a much nicer car to drive around town. All MK 1, 1a, and 2s and some early
3s are 3.9-1 the later Mk 3 and V8s are 3.54-1. so there should be lots of
3.9-1 around.
You should be getting a lot more than 12 mpg, make sure your choke is going
all the way off and that the mixture is set correct.

Cheers
Barry
B C