[ROVERNET - UK] Racing Rovers

Drew Egginton drew at pitstop.net.au
Fri Oct 14 09:55:41 BST 2005

Unfortunately Rovernet will not receive from AOL, so perhaps you could
forward the following.

The P5B is alive and kicking, having been built by Martin-Hurst. It was
used extensively by Phil Surtees here in the UK, with a different colour
(blue) and registration number. It competed on Le Jog a couple of times
and was sold on for an overseas endurance event. It had already competed
on Peking-Paris a few years ago.

The motor is 4.4 litre dry sump, reputedly kicking out 400bhp! It has a
Swedish Range Rover rear axle with limited slip (apparently Swedish
Range Rovers were slightly different), a five speed Getrag gear box, and
is fitted with Discovery wheels.

In addition to the ex-Lockhart single seater (about to be raced next
year) I also have a Rover 2200TC fitted with a blueprinted engine and
half race cam (revs to 7,000!). This has done the last 4 Le Jogs and
Circuit of Ireland Retros (we won our class last weekend and came 10th
overall). There is also a red V8S owned by Clifford Auld which competes
regularly in Ireland.

Until a big accident (we demolished part of Thomastown railway bridge
near Kilkenny) I fielded a 1950 Cyclops in various events (Le Jog, Monte
Carlo etc). The car is slowly being rebuilt.

I have also campaigned the Marauder on 3 Le Jogs, 3 Circuit Retros, a
Monte Carlo, and various minor events. Although it is now retired from
rallying, it is still used regularly, and has been to Italy three times
in the last two years, including doing Chester-Rome (1400 miles) in 27
hours, Vienna-London (1000 miles) in 18 hours, and Dusseldorf-North
Wales (650 miles) in 12 hours. All these times include the channel
ferry. In August the car travelled to Switzerland and did all the
mountain passes around Interlaken.

So you can see that Rovers are still being campaigned out there!

Regards,

Ian Glass