[ROVERNET - UK] New to classic car ownership in the US- Help!

S Manwell smanwell at sprintmail.com
Tue Sep 13 02:32:35 BST 2005

Steven,

I'm all too familiar with antique car insurance in the US and know a
little about UK classic car insurance from what I read in UK club
publications.  The bottom line is that classic car insurance in the UK
is much more flexible -- there seems to be coverage available for just
about any level and type of use you can think of.  Unfortunately the US
antique/classic insurance providers are comparatively rigid and
inflexible -- there really is no (reasonable cost) insurance coverage
available for that middle ground between using a classic car just for
shows/parades/club events/pleasure driving vs. normal use of an everyday
car.  I have never understood why this is the case, because there
clearly is a market there.

On the other hand, most of the classic insurance companies in the US do
allow limited "pleasure driving" in addition to driving to
shows/parades/club events.  They all seem to require no driving to work
and typically they say no driving on errands that a regular use vehicle
might be used for.  That said, it appears to me that many if not most
people with classic car policies sometimes use their old cars more
liberally than the stictest interpretation of the policy might call
for.  One option is to cover the car with a standard policy for half the
year and move it to a (much cheaper) antique policy for the months that
the car is mostly off the road.

A middle ground in coverage is a stated value policy for regular use.
This avoids the problem in which a normal policy would "total" a Rover
with the slightest damage because it would be assumed to be depreciated
to zero value.  Stated value means the collision coverage will be based
on the amount stated when the policy was started.  That's a little
different from agreed value which typically assumes the car increases in
value over time.  The bad news is that a stated value policy for regular
use has the same or higher premiums than a policy for regular use
without stated value.

You might consider carrying the normal amount of liability coverage, but
no comprehensive and collision and essentially self-insure for these
coverages.  If you saved $500 to 1000 per year that way you'd save
enough every few years to replace the whole car whether or not you crash it!

Another thing to keep in mind about antique policies is that some of the
vendors are very sensitive about the slightest modification made to an
old car, especially if it alters the performance at all.  If you
disclose any mods, it becomes an excuse for some of the companies to
charge a much higher premium for their modified/hot rod coverage...  I
found J. C. Taylor to be particularly inflexible in this area.  Hagerty,
Condon & Skelly and Grundy are the other three usual suspects.

--Steve Manwell
Boston-area, Massachusetts

P.S. Would you like to be included on the Rover Saloon Touring Club of
America emailing list for our sporadic newsletter and event notices?
Maybe we should schedule daily events so that everyone has an excuse for
driving on limited use insurance coverage...