[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 45, Issue 24

jDolan jhdolan at sover.net
Sun Aug 6 16:13:30 BST 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:47:12 -0400
> From: Glen Wilson <rovercar at comcast.net>
> Subject: [ROVERNET - UK] 2000TC Towing Question
> To: rovernet at lyris.ccdata.com
>
> I had a call from someone who will be towing a 2000TC about 250 miles.
> Going with a full trailer that gets all four wheels off the ground will
> mean renting a truck, as well, because the trailer needs the electric
> brake hook-up. (Most companies here won't even rent you a full trailer
> unless you rent a truck at the same time.) The other option is the use
> of a two-wheel dolly, which always raises several questions.
> Glen

Hi Glen-
  I'm sure others will have the specifics for the mechanical aspects of
this.
  One thing I would suggest is that if this is to be towed inter-state,
on a two wheel, single axle dolly, and there is no license plate
present, they should check the requirements of all the states involved.
Steve Manwell and I went to Conn. to retrieve a pair of P5's several
years back, and the unloaded, unlicensed dolly got impounded! Sometimes
putting a licensed vehicle on an unlicensed dolly can solve the problem.
I think I've learned more about this than I ever wanted.
  If they do use a dolly, it might be worth the effort to raise it up
and let the back of the propshaft loose and then supported.
Hope this finds you well,
jim
1960 P5 MkI 4spd w/OD