[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 45, Issue 24

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 16:16:00 BST 2006

Likewise in British Columbia......
In one instance, one of our members had a problem with
the police where the towed car on the dolly was not
licensed OR in possession of a day permit.

In another case, another member was stopped by the
police because his P3 Rover was being stiff-hitch
towed by an SUV.  The registration on both vehicles
were checked.  The policeman advised that the car
could not be towed by that vehicle because the weight
of the towed vehicle exceeded that allowed.  No ticket
or fine was delivered - just a warning to unhook and
not do it again.

As it has been noted - check with local authorities
for the legal aspects of a tow.

Eric

> Hi Glen-
>   I'm sure others will have the specifics for the
> mechanical aspects of
> this.
>   One thing I would suggest is that if this is to be
> towed inter-state,
> on a two wheel, single axle dolly, and there is no
> license plate
> present, they should check the requirements of all
> the states involved.
> Steve Manwell and I went to Conn. to retrieve a pair
> of P5's several
> years back, and the unloaded, unlicensed dolly got
> impounded! Sometimes
> putting a licensed vehicle on an unlicensed dolly
> can solve the problem.
> I think I've learned more about this than I ever
> wanted.
>   If they do use a dolly, it might be worth the
> effort to raise it up
> and let the back of the propshaft loose and then
> supported.
> Hope this finds you well,
> jim
> 1960 P5 MkI 4spd w/OD