[ROVERNET - UK] Gearbox changes

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Sat Aug 26 19:16:04 BST 2006

>My gearbox saga continues, and I'd like to consult the more
>knowledgeable.  I'm prepared to rebuild the gearbox on my 1968 TC
>(gearbox suffix F), and have bought the necessary parts from Pierre.
>Meanwhile, someone has offered me a functional gearbox from a 1971
>TC.  Are there major differences or improvements in the later 'box?
>Will it fit in my '68?  Gordon.

Internally, your "F" gearbox is a bushing type, while the 71 will be
a needle roller type. That means that the internal mainshaft parts
are not interchangeable. The needle roller gearboxes (suffix H and
above) are better but (technically) slightly nosier due to the many
more rotating bits. The early bushing type gearbox had problems with
the bush for 2nd and 3rd gear breaking, but unless you came across a
low mileage original all of those have long since broken and been
fixed.

Yours
Vern

--
Vern Klukas                             I'm a little . . .
Inkspot Type & Design
vern at inkspotco.com