[ROVERNET - UK] Front Spring Safety

geffandjulie geffandjulie at comcast.net
Mon Dec 4 05:19:25 GMT 2006

I have loaned my set of spring retainer rods here in the USA. But...beware
of the danger when reinstalling the compressed spring: I jacked up on the
control arm to compress the spring further. The upwards force did not
compress the spring further, it merely lifted the car, which fell sideways
off the 4 jack stands. Fortunately, nobody was on the ground near it, or
serious injury could have resulted. Either do as the book says: Have 3 HEAVY
friends lean on the wing while you raise the control arm to compress the
spring, allowing the retaining rods to be rotated and removed. Or..chain the
car to the ground so it cannot raise.
Plus, the compressed spring itself is a fatality looking for a place to
happen.  A shop mate made me two retaining hooks by bending common 1/4 inch
turnbuckles. These, like external compressors, are insurance in case one or
more of the rods slips loose.