[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Strut Cartridge

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Sat Dec 23 14:36:49 GMT 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:00:31 -0600
  "Nick and Laurie Hand" <flynp170 at cablelynx.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a USA source for the front struts? I saw
>a pair on UK e-bay
> in a monroe box; but was unable to get the part #.
>Thanks Nick [ really
> enjoying cruising Oklahoma in my SD1, close to 6000
>miles now]

Hi Nick,
Glad you're having fun.  The front struts use cartridge
inserts and the stubs (spindles) are in unit with the
struts themselves.  When replacing inserts, check the top
pivots to make sure they turn freely with the springs in
place.  They should turn smoothly under load.  The
bearings themselves tend to go bad and the early style
pivots as used on the NAS cars are supposedly NLA.  I have
pulled four front ends just to get one good pair of
pivots.  The alternative is to get a pair of struts, new
or used, from a series 2 SD1 from the UK or down under.

Someone else please comment on this.  My memory is getting
fuzzy on this point.

Roverly,
Kent K.