[ROVERNET - UK] Federal 3500S brakes sticking

peter king peter at king-co.com
Thu Feb 2 23:32:36 GMT 2006

Glen,

I recently rebuilt my master cylinder and had the same problem. The
culprit turned out to be the rebuild kit I had purchased from the UK,
which had come with the incorrect replacement "plunger" (for lack of
memory of the proper name).  This is the small rubber replacement
that goes on the little shaft located at the end of the cylinder. It
is the last part out and first to go back in. It turns out that there
are different rubber parts for this replacement, one for the Jag
application, one for Rover. If the replacement plunger took any
effort to re-insert in Mr Fox's master, it was probably the wrong
part. It will stick and prevent the fluid from backing out of the
lines, then slowly release, freeing the wheels until the pedal is
depressed again.

Peter