[ROVERNET - UK] P5B in USA?

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Wed May 10 19:46:04 BST 2006

geffandjulie wrote:
> The P5B was originally produced in late 67. As of 1968, US smog and
> crash regulations came into effect, and the V-8 had not been tested for
> EPA emissions, etc. Thus, the only legal P5B in US then would have been
> a 67, and I do not know if any LHD were produced then. I believe that
> after 25y, the EPA requirements lapse, and antique, such as P5B can be
> imported.

Geff and others,
You are correct.  There is no difficulty importing cars twenty-five
years of age or older...just a lot of paperwork that must be done BEFORE
the car come in.  US regulations are not uniform with EPA, DOT, and
Customs all having different regulations, but past 25 everything is
grandfathered.  Unfortunately, cars that were brought to the US
illegally can never be grandfathered an will always be subject to
confiscation and destruction.  Just because a car has been titled and
registered by a state does not make it legal with the feds.

Roverly,
Kent K.