[ROVERNET - UK] eBay Auction Ponderables

lingfield51 at tiscali.co.uk lingfield51 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 19 16:14:44 BST 2006

I think this is peoples way around the listing fees. If I have a car I think
is worth say £3000 I can list it as starting at £1 with no reserve for next
to nothing,  but if I think it's going to be sold at a ridiculously low price
I can end it with only a few minutes to go and suffer no penalty or if it
has bids 24 hours from the end. Agree it is probably cheating but it's cheating
within the rules which of course by definition is not cheating.
It is done all the time and whether its 'ground effect' in F1 (remember the
80's) or tax avoidance it is legal though irritating.

On the subject of Ebay generally it has ceased to become a 'bargain' hunters
paradise that it was when you and I first chatted Glen some 7 years ago.
Then there were bargains a plently  as so few people had internet access,
particularly in the UK. Now i'm afraid it has gone the other way with silly
prices being paid for items you wouldn't look twice at if on an autojumble
table for half the price. I think it is the psychology of the process and
bidders forget what they're bidding for and are more concerend about outbidding
the other chap and as we know in any battle it is those that keep their heads
that are usually the victors and in this case that is NOT winning.

Alan Francis (partviking)