[ROVERNET - UK] Coolant choice

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 20:16:54 BST 2006

Hi Ali,

I did a bit of searching on coolant choice this weekend, It's the first
really hot weekend in NY, and the temp gauge on my 2000TC was just at the
top of the green section and would occaisionnally cross the line into the
low red. I think re-coring the radiator may be on the cards. The coolant
quite clean, and I think the engine had been flushed before I bought the car
last October.

Anyway, apparently the antifreeze does stop corrosion in the engine, but
also inhibits thermal conductivity (so I was wrong with my last email on
this). So it doesn't cool as efficiantly as pure water.

I did find a product called 'water wetter' from redline oils that's meant to
improve the wetting abilies of coolant and thereby improve cooling by up to
30 deg F. I'll add some to the coolant in my car and tell you if anything
improves. Has anyone else used this or a similar product? did it work for
you?

That's about it apart from the fact that I got my NOS carbs' fitted this
weekend and what a difference it made. I kept thinking the engine had
stalled when pulling up at the lights, and I'm not creating my own personal
hole in the ozone layer any more.

Take care,

StevenD