[ROVERNET - UK] Sale of Jaguar and Land Rover...Chrysler

Sands sands2005 at home00.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 22:28:15 BST 2006

G'day Glen,
                  Mitsubishi didn't buy Chrysler...they bought Chrysler
Australia... slightly different, this was the manufacturing arm of
Chrysler in Australia makers of the famed 'Chrysler Valiant' in
Australia.... arguably the best was the original 'S' series Valiant
(early half of the 1960s)  though the Valiant Charger (quite a bit
different from the Dodge Charger, though inspired by it) now seen in
retro is quite a desirable '70s' car. I met the 'millionaire' son of the
guy who brokered the sale of Chrysler Australia to Mitsubishi some years
back. At high school there was always a kind of split of factions
depending upon whether you were 'Chrysler' or 'Holden'.... or to a
lesser extent 'Ford.'  In more recent years the factional split between
students is Holden/Ford.... We were able to (still can) get our driver's
lience at 16... I got my licence then but bought my first car a 1958 FC
Holden when I was 18... I paid $150au for it.
I daresay there are still strong links between Chrysler and Mitsubishi
just as there are between GM (GMH in Australia) and Isuzu. I believe
that Ford had a big stake in Mazda.

Mike...
.... incidentally folks I no longer have my 820 Vitesse... it was
totalled in a car accident and crushed up by the wreckers... I now have
an X-Type Jag (2.5 SE)... I've had a long history of ownership of
Triumph and Rovers.