[ROVERNET - UK] tc shimmy problem solved

Carter, Jonathan L. M.D. carter.jonathan at mayo.edu
Sun Sep 10 23:33:13 BST 2006

I've had several experiences where the belts have started to separate on a tire, leading to a shimmy that starts at a certain speed and then gets worse and worse at slower speeds as you drive along. My last experience driving over to Albuquerque from Phoenix was almost a disaster when the entire tread on one of my front tires separated suddenly after a shimmy like you describe. Fortunately the tire didn't blow at the same time. There is a code on the sidewall of the tires that tells you when they were manufactured (at least in the US), and any tire store can help you decipher it. I've decided to replace any old, weather-checked tires before any major road trips after my last harrowing experience!
Jonathan