[ROVERNET - UK] Clutch master cylinder

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:34:14 BST 2006

Hi All,

So, I changed the seals on my clutch master cylinder this weekend on my 2000
TC. I was having the clutch creep into engagement, not good!

The cylider has been re-sleeved at some time, I'm guessing when the previous
owner had had the hydrolics redone as part of getting the car on the road
after a twenty year lay off.

I was have trouble getting the system bled, at first I couldn't work out
what it was, then I released that fluide wasnt getting through the new
seals. I took the pipe off the tail of the master cylinder and used my
rubber gloved finger as a valve to prime the cylinder. Once I'd done that
things went well.

Now my question is; is that a normal problem with these MCs, I've had this
sort of thing happen with the Austins and Triumphs I've run before. Also
could this explian the reduced travel I think the slave cylinder  has? There
are no leaks and things are better, but I'm now being paranoid and wonder if
I should replace the whole unit with a new one if I can find it.

Thanks all,

StevenD