[ROVERNET - UK] Clutch master cylinder

roland veetwinrider at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 01:37:03 BST 2006

--- Steven Dibdin <sdibdin at hotmail.com> wrote:

Also
> could this explian the reduced travel I think the
> slave cylinder  has? There
> are no leaks and things are better, but I'm now
> being paranoid and wonder if
> I should replace the whole unit with a new one if I
> can find it.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> StevenD
Steve, one of the tricks I learned from a friend. Take
the master cylinder cap off, top off the brake fluid,
pump the clutch as slooooowwwwllly as you can. You'd
be amazed at how many bubbles come up. As you release
the clutch sloooooooowwwwwllly, it will allow the
trapped air to naturally bubble upwards. This works
well on alot of master cylinders as they are higher
than most of the system. Use this method after
bleeding the system and problems still exist. Worked
everytime for me and no extra tools. Did I mention to
do this really slowly?

      roland
DL650
  Rover P5