[ROVERNET - UK] Calling Rovernet Brain trust!!!

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Thu Sep 28 23:19:53 BST 2006

Ben,

Did you check the oil level in the carb? It needs the resistance in order to
function as an accelerator pump. Starting and running fine at idle, but
backfiring through the carb on acceleration is an old symptom of a bad
condenser (capacitor). You might try replacing just that or going back to
the Pertronix.

I agree with Paul about the SU fuel pumps. I just fired my P-5 off today
after a couple of years and discovered that the main is not working, but the
reserve is. I will pull it and rebuild both sections soon. They are really
pretty simple and again, I agree with Paul regarding the diode across the
coil. It does make the points last longer. Unless the coils are bad in the
fuel pumps, there is no reason to replace them. They can easily be rebuilt
(points, diaphragm and diode) many times. You can test them by just
connecting them directly to a battery (watch the polarity, particularly with
a diode installed).

Slats