[ROVERNET - UK] Calling Rovernet Brain trust!!!

John Burkhard burkhaj at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 29 01:28:56 BST 2006

Hi Ben,

I have looked at the factory workshop manual, the Wade S. U. book and the
P6 shop manual in detail.  I think I may have found the problem(s).  Your
car, as do all NADA P5s, has an economizer (Rover term) or weakening device
(S.U. term).  This is mounted on top of the float bowl by the center bolt
that holds the cover on.  This valve system regulates or controls the float
chamber air vent with ported vacuum. One end of the regulator valve has a
line going to the top of the SU throttle chamber next to the vacuum advance
line to the distributor.  At the other end of the valve there is a hose
that goes to the air cleaner elbow at the carburetor.

Remove and very carefully disassemble this valve.  There are a few, very
small parts in this assembly so try to remember where they all go.  It
looks like you will need to soak the valve casting in a good carburetor
cleaner and use lots of compressed air to give it a good cleaning.  Let me
know how this works.  jb