[ROVERNET - UK] Vacuum Gauge Connection

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Mon Feb 12 17:07:43 GMT 2007

HI Steve

Nice work on the engine bay, but just one detail: properly, the
camcover vent filter should be hammertone grey, not black. The black
is correct if you have a Land Rover.

As for the air cleaner, I would suggest the stock housing with K&N
aftermarket elements. The bit about the front carb getting more air
is incorrect, except possibly for a small ram air effect at speed.

I notice with the elements you have, you have removed the adapters
that mate the carbs to the original air clearer housing. That is not
a good move, the radius of the adapter allows significantly more
airflow through the carbs, over what I presume you have now, sharp
edges at the carb mouths. We are talking about 20 or 30% more air,
mate! Also, removing the adapter meant that you had to plumb the
camcover vent to the crankcase vent. That vent was intended to vent
to the airbox, not to the back side of the carb. I'm not sure about
the effect of that, except that I believe were you have it plumbed
now has a restriction to flow (I'll have to dig out a HD8 body and
check)

Yours
Vern