[ROVERNET - UK] Vacuum Gauge Connection

Steve Lawrence jaoa27 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 06:24:09 GMT 2007

Hi JPS and Fletcher,

I am actually tapped into the hose after the check valve, so I may need to
rectify this. I am using very small dia. hose, so at first the gauge was
very sensitive and I think the damping was good, but now the gauge is not
very sensitive at all.  I checked the hose for cracks etc. and it seems
fine, and so is are connections to the gauge.

Fletcher,
Besides using the stock air cleaners, do you know of any good aftermarket
ones that would fit, look good, and allow good air flow?  I want even air
flow to the carbs, and it seems that the stock air cleaner housing lends
more air to the front carb.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

hi steve !

if your intention is  to monitor the manifold vacuum ( i assume ) , be
careful to tap before the check valve. if you tap after the valve , you
will be monitoring the servo vacuum instead.
the valve is fixed to the manifold , and the rubber hose attaches to it.
when i got my present 2000tc the previous owner had installed extra
gauges , and the vacuum gauge was reading the servo.
he had tapped the rubber hose going to the servo with a "T" connector.
if you did it wrong , just turn the engine off , and if the gauge still
reads vacuum you are measuring the servo.
the easiest way is to connect the gauge is in parallel with the vacuum
advance line, by bifurcating the vacuum advance port at the manifold.

do the diagnostics before you junk the gauge , it may be innocent !

JPS