[ROVERNET - UK] Rover P6B - fitting of headers

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Thu Feb 22 04:11:49 GMT 2007

Hi Peter,
RPi now makes headers for the P6B.  They are beautiful
(stainless steel).  They are efficient.  They are NOT
cheap.  See their Ebay on-line store.

Some "flat collector" headers intended for MGB V8 will fit
since MGB V8 had tight engine compartment and same oil pan
as P6B, but I have heard that these are not efficient and
were one reason that the MGRV8 went with fenderwell type
headers.

P6B's are notorious for high under bonnet temperatures
anyway.  Headers make this worse unless they are wrapped.
 Even stock downpipes should receive a thermal wrap to
help this situation.

Headers seldom produce any gains below 4,000 RPM.  How
often will you turn 4,000 RPM in your P6B automatic.

Late Range Rover Classic manifolds are quite efficient and
can be used if you chop out and box a section of base
unit.  I've seen it done, but I'm not that brave.

Nothing else comes close to fitting.

The best exhaust improvement for a P6B is still the 3500S
(four speed manual) type cast iron manifolds with their
larger outlets and larger downpipes...if you can find a
set.  They are significantly better than those fitted to
P6B automatics and are not as prone to crack since they
lack the provision for intake heat and thus have a
uniformly smooth outer surface.

Roverexhaustively,
Kent K.