[ROVERNET - UK] Help!!!! Rover V8 Motor Question

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Mon Jan 1 20:08:17 GMT 2007

Hi Geff,
I will have to dig up some numbers on the plugs.  The plug
reach differs on the pre-'76 and post-'75 heads and using
plugs with the wrong reach can produce hot spots or
fouling in the combustion process.  Exact heat range may
depend on other tuning details, but I can give you a place
to start.

"Chevy valves and springs" is not enough information to
allow us to duplicate the installation.
I have a set of heads with Volkswagen valves, but they are
extensively modified and only my machinist knows how or
how much (although I know the valve heads were reduced in
diameter).  Stem length is critical on Rover V8's and I
expect the stems on the Chevy valves were (or should have
been) ground down to produce correct geometry in the valve
train.  There are no Chevy V8 valves that are a direct
replacement for Rover valves and far as I know.  Although
215 Buick valves are a direct replacement for early Rover
valves, the material is not compatible with the use of
unleaded fuel.  SD1 valves and valve seats are slightly
larger than early Rover valves and seats and do well with
unleaded fuel.  Older Rover heads should have their seats
and valves replaced when using unleaded.

Roverly,
Kent K.