[ROVERNET - UK] P6B - Removing rear brakes

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 06:13:59 BST 2007

Ray,
I do as follows:
1.  I remove the road wheels and put the nuts back
onto the studs.
2.  I organize a 5/8" socket, a short extension, and a
1/2 inch socket bar that is about 18 inches long and
offer it up to a convenient disc bolt.
3.  I insert a long pry bar I use for the purpose
between two of the wheel stud nuts so that wheel is
prevented from turning by the garage floor and the
above-mentioned pry bar.
4.  I have to rotate the disc and fiddle with the pry
bar until I have all the bolts removed.

Note:  It's long and fiddly but it works for me.

Hopefully, you will get more convenient responses from
other members.

Eric

--- Ray Wilkins <raywilkins at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Thank you to everyone who responded to my initial
> post of many weeks ago. I
> have finally got around to start and decided to go
> with Paul Smith's advice
> and disconnect the half shafts so I can get more
> room. I won't drop the diff
> as space is very limited.
>
> My question is this; does anyone have good ideas for
> ways to stop the disc
> from revolving so I can remove the holding bolts. I
> notice from the Manual
> these bolts are tightened to 85 lb ft!! This will
> make it even harder to
> remove.
>
> All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ray Wilkins
> 1976 P6B
> Melbourne Australia

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca